The oldest working distillery on the Isle of Skye is set on the shores of Loch Harport with dramatic views of the Cuillins.
In 1830, the MacAskill brothers built Talisker Distillery at Carbost on the shore of Loch Harport, despite opposition from the local clergy but after being passed to Donald McLellan an 1960, the distillery became bankrupt in 1863. Later in 1880 the distillery picked up business again and the new tenant Alexander Grigor Allan brought the distillery to new success. During the years of the second world war the distillery was closed due to a shortage of barley. in 1898, Allan decides to merge with Thomas MacKenzie to form Dailuiane-Talisker Distillery Co. Ltd. By now Talisker is one of the best-selling single malt whiskies in the country.
The death of Thomas MacKenzie in 1916 gives John Walker & Sons and John Dewar & Sons the chance to form a consortium and take over